Why are we looking at media in English class??

We are surrounded by media in our everyday lives! Music, internet, television, video games, and advertising are all around us. It is important to understand and think about what messages we are being sent, and how these messages are created. It can impact how we see other people and ourselves!

Media is becoming a huge part of our lives with the increase in mobile technology. Media can shape how we see ourselves and the world around us. We need to think about what we see. It all comes down to thinking…

How do we make meaning from media?

We have discussed the difference between seeing and viewing: viewing is observing what we see and making meaning from it – understanding what we see. It’s like the difference between hearing and listening.

When thinking about the message in media, we have to understand that the creators of media make choices to get their message out to their audience:

What kinds of choices are we talking? Well, for starters, design elements are important! They give us a message whether it be a direct message, or something a bit more subtle. Take the Ad here…

First, I need to understand that this is an advertisement, and the purpose is to persuade me to buy this product. Second, I want to think about the choices that have been made. I see several design elements at work.

• Colour
  • Contrast
  • Proportion
  • Emphasis

The first, and most obvious design element is colour. The entire ad is in black and white except for the brightly coloured athletic clothing. This gives emphasis to the actual product the company is selling. Next, I notice the contrast. The white letting stands out and is easy to read. Then, I see that the woman wearing the athletic gear is larger in proportion  – this to me says that this woman is more important than those smaller women in the background. So, what is this ad really saying? When I look at the overall result and keeping in mind the design elements, I see that this ad is telling women that training is more important than being stylish – yet their athletic clothing is a style itself. I think it is trying to send a message to women that being strong and fit is important. The exercise gear can help me get fit – I will want to train. I notice that they use thin, blond women – is this supposed to be the ideal body type? I think this ad is sending a subtle message about what a woman should be (fit, pretty etc.) that is not necessarily just about the product… What do you think?

But, don’t take my word for it. We may view media in different ways based on what we know or who we are:

What do you think? Is understanding media important to you?

Have you ever experienced a different reaction to a media work than someone else?

Post your response in the comment section.